Why do I love sports so much? Is it an addiction? Maybe. I tend to think of it more of a disease. Hence the name of my blog...For anyone who doesn't know, stockholm syndrome is defined as:
" a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors"I hated sports growing up. HATED. I didn't enjoy playing them very much. I hated running, swimming etc. I attended the Friday night football games in high school only because everyone else did. (Insert obligatory sheep reference here)
So how did I come to love sports?? Simple. I went to college. Specifically Texas A&M. For those who aren't familiar with the Aggies, we are the most dedicated football fans in the nation. (Yes I'm biased. Get over it) We attend football games in the Texas heat, and for my entire time there...we sucked. But we kept going. Here's the thing though. I loved it. 85,000 people got together once a week to cheer for their team for a full game whether we thought we would win or not (even though we always hoped). Being part of the yelling (Aggies don't cheer), lamenting at our losses (there were more than you would expect), and celebrating (we did beat a #1 team while I was there), is an amazing feeling. Its addicting. And so began my addiction. When football season ended, I watched Aggie basketball, then baseball. The next year, A&M football wasn't enough. I started watching the NFL. Then came interest in all of college football. Then came Fantasy Football. (greatest invention ever)
So, wait, this sounds more like an addiction then stockholm syndrome. But in the end it all comes back to the Aggies. Whether they are good or bad, I watch. Win or lose, I watch. High or Low expectations, I watch. They in fact hold me hostage despite letting me down every week. They do just enough to raise my hopes before crushing them (See 2011 season). I wasn't like this before they got a hold of me. Now I live and breathe Texas A&M, and do it proudly.
One might ask, "Doesn't that just make you a diehard fan?"
And you know what...you're right. That's what I am. I guess there isn't much of a difference in the world of sports.
Here's a taste of the intro they play at A&M home games. Watch it and then tell me I'm crazy.
-A Sports Fanatic
You forgot to reference your addiction to ESPN. 24 HOURS A DAY.
ReplyDeleteI really think someone could get their PhD on studying the effects of A&M culture (fish camp, sports, etc.) before attending, while attending, after. It would an amazing psychological and sociological study. You would be a great case study!
ReplyDeleteSuffice it to say the words fanatic and arrogant would probably appear more times in the study than I would like.
DeleteKyle informed me that this is actually called "battered Aggie Syndrome" on TexAgs.
ReplyDelete